Taiwan's FREE resource for 50+
materials, methods & Editorials

Professional Development Training
Exam Preparation (TOEFL, IELTS, TOIEC)
Get a consultation

Editorials   Material


Business Material Menu
Student Material Menu
Entertainment Material Menu
Methods Material Editorials About Us Contact Us

Selecting Goals


Why are you learning English? We forget sometimes that learning should have a purpose – learning should improve our lives.

(Note: While reading this article, I recommend that you follow along on our Goals Cheat-Sheet.)

Download the Goals Cheat Sheet

Life Goals

So let's start by finding out the Why. We all have many life goals – big things that we want to accomplish in our lives. Here are some that our students have had:


•I want to get a promotion.
•I want to move overseas.
•I want to move overseas (and get an MBA).
•I want to feel confident when I talk to my foreign clients/coworkers/boss.
•I want to make some foreign friends.
•I want to further my career as an English teacher/translator.
•I want to help my child learn English.
•I want to improve my relationship with my foreign girlfriend/boyfriend.

(Note: "I want to be good at English," is not a Life Goal. Really think about WHY you want to learn.)

These are all BIG goals – they are Life Goals. Hopefully, you have several Life Goals. When we think about learning and education, we should try to focus on one Goal at a time.

Therefore, take a minute and identify your life goal.

Now that you have identified your life goal, you know what you want to achieve. Now you need a plan for how to achieve it.

English Goals

First, we need to break our life goal down into several English Goals.

Warning: Don't choose an English Goal that is TOO BIG. This is where most people make their first mistake.

Bad Examples:


•I want to be able to do everything for my job in English.
•I want to know all the stuff for the TOEFL test.
•I want to increase my vocabulary to 7000 words.

These goals are too big and too complicated. Where do you start? It's just too difficult. You need English Goals that are small, manageable, and specific.

Good Examples:


•I want to write emails (7-10 sentences) about work information, specifically insurance policies.
•I want to speak 7-10 sentences about personal issues, specifically personal decisions for the IELTS test.
•I want to read long articles about literature, specifically university-level English literature.

Now, this is not your ONLY English Goal. But remember, when you do training you should try to focus on one Goal at a time. Once you finish this English Goal, you can move onto the next.

Download the Goals Cheat Sheet

If you are having trouble selecting your Life Goals and English Goals, try working with a private teacher or consultant.

Contact a Private Teacher